What’s more irresistible than a moist and delicious chocolate cake? While we know that a chocolate cake doesn’t need to be any more than delicious, it can be made better. That’s what we did with this chocolate cake recipe.
Here’s the recipe:
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Takes 50 minutes plus chilling and cooling
- Makes 8 servings
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- 1/3 cup margarine, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon calamansi juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For salted caramel sauce:
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose cream
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 teaspoon rock salt, or to taste
- For condensed milk frosting:
- 3/4 cup margarine, chilled
- 1/2 300-ml can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup salted caramel sauce (recipe follows)
How to make Salted Caramel Chocolate Loaf Cake
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C. Lightly grease and line an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan with parchment paper with an overhang. (Use metal binder clips to secure the parchment to the sides of the pan.) Set aside.
- 2 In a microwave-safe bowl, melt margarine on High for about 30 seconds. (Cook for an additional 10 seconds if not yet melted.) Add sugar. Stir to combine and cool the hot margarine. Pour and stir in evaporated milk, egg, and calamansi juice.
- 3 Place strainer over the bowl and add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking soda. Sift well. Mix the two mixtures together until a batter forms. Use a whisk if the mixture is lumpy.
- 4 Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Tap the pan lightly on the counter to release any trapped air bubbles, and place it in the preheated oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake emerges clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5 Make the salted caramel sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir sugar and water then simmer until edges start to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Add all-purpose cream, and stir to blend. Stir in margarine and rock salt until melted then cool completely. (Makes about 1/2 cup.)
- 6 Make the condensed milk frosting: In the stand mixer with the beater attachment, cream the cold margarine until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Add the cold, sweetened condensed milk, change to the whisk attachment and whisk until combined and the frosting looks light and fluffy. Drizzle in the reserved caramel and whisk again until combined. (If the frosting looks curdled, keep whisking. If the frosting is no longer cold and is pourable, chill the frosting for 10 minutes or until it’s chilled again. Whisk until combined again.)
- 7 To assemble, remove chocolate cake from the pan using the overhang. Remove and discard the parchment paper. Place on a serving board. Add frosting on top of the loaf cake. Drizzle on extra caramel. Cut into slices and serve.