Here is how to make the Filipino version of Baked Macaroni. This Filipino Baked Macaroni is so delicious and adjusted to Filipinos palate which is a mixture of savoury sweet and creamy cheese sauce. It is packed with meaty sauce, red (Filipino) hot dogs and mozzarella cheese, and is similar to Filipino style Spaghetti. Like my kid said “one of the best baked macaroni I’ve ever had, hands down!
The Filipino style Baked Macaroni is made of elbow macaroni, cheese and tomato based meat sauce which is a little sweet like the sauce used in Filipino Spaghetti. The macaroni is cooked and tossed with meat sauce, smothered with cream sauce also known bechamel sauce and topped with generous amount of mozzarella cheese. For the cheese, use your favorite like quick melt or cheddar if mozzarella is not available.
Filipino-style Baked Macaroni comes together quick and easy. It is simple to make using basic ingredients most Filipino already have in their pantry and fridge. No oven? No problem, just use a toaster. Best when served while still warm with garlic bread. I am going to walk you through how I make the Filipino-style Baked Macaroni.
Give this delicious Filipino-style Baked Macaroni recipe a try. Make it today and share with your loved ones or save this link for later use. Don’t forget to check related recipes below by clicking on the name link below the picture to see complete recipes. Follow CASA BALUARTE RECIPES on Facebook, YouTube, Instagram and Pinterest. For question or concern, leave a comment below or email @ [email protected] or leave a message on my Facebook page or YouTube channel.
- 2 cup elbow macaroni
- water for boiling macaroni
- canola and/or olive oil
- 3 pieces hot dogs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef (or pork)
- 1/2 tsp dried chili peppers (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp sugar or to taste
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup cheddar or quick melt cheese
- 3/4 cup mozzarella or quick melt cheese
Ingredients for Bechamel Cream Sauce:
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 1.5 tbsp flour (APF)
- 1 can (12 fl oz) evaporated milk
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- BOILING PASTA: Boil around 5 cups of water. Add elbow macaroni and a pinch of salt. Stir and cook per package (less 2 minutes) instructions while stirring occasionally. Remove pasta from water and rinse in cold water. Let it drain completely and set aside.
- FOR MEAT SAUCE: Heat 2 tablespoon canola oil and fry red hot dogs until lightly brown. Set aside. Using the same pan, add 2 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and garlic. Saute for a minute until fragrant and soft. Add ground beef and cook until brown for around 5 minutes over medium heat while stirring occasionally. Add dried chili peppers, 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and sugar. Stir to combine and let it cook for few minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for few minutes stirring. Add fried hot dogs, tomato sauce and 1/2 cup water. Stir until well combined and reduce heat to low. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes while stirring occasionally until sauce starts to thicken. Add cheddar cheese and stir well. Turn off the heat and add boiled and drained elbow macaroni to the meat sauce. Toss until well combined and every pasta is coated with the meat sauce. Set aside.
- For BECHAMEL CREAM SAUCE: Melt butter over low heat. Add flour and cook while regularly stirring until lightly brown for about 3-5 minutes. Gradually add the evaporated milk, stirring vigorously to prevent lumps. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste. Simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes or until smooth and slightly thick while stirring constantly.
- BAKING: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer pasta mixture in a baking dish. Cover pasta with cream sauce and generously top with mozzarella or quick melt cheese. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes until lightly brown. Remove Baked Macaroni from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. Best when served with garlic butter bread. Enjoy!
(click on name link below the picture to see complete recipe)
COOKING VIDEO LINK, click HERE
COOKING VIDEO, LINK HERE
COOKING VIDEO LINK HERE