This luscious chocolate cake is still one of our favorite desserts in Manila. This is a classic and moist chocolate cake baked straight into an aluminum pan, topped with a similarly classic chocolate fudge frosting, and served as is. It’s an unassuming cake that catapults you back to your childhood memories of your first bite of chocolate and all the reasons you love the flavor.
You just can’t wrong with this double chocolate combo!
Want to try recreating this decadent cake? We hacked this cake recipe so you can make it at home. Here’s the recipe:
Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Takes 50 minutes
- Makes 9 servings (1 8-inch square cake)
Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake Ingredients
- For the Chocolate Cake:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose cream
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For chocolate fudge frosting:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
How To Make Big Al’s-Style Chocolate Cake
- 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- 2 To make the cake: In a large liquid measuring jug, make thick homemade buttermilk by whisking cream and vinegar together.
- 3 Once thickened, add oil, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk together. Set aside.
- 4 Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl using a strainer. Stir in sugar and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in buttermilk mixture. Mix the two mixtures together until well blended.
- 5 Pour into an 8×8 inch (20×20 cm) aluminum baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes. (Use a toothpick to test the cake’s doneness.) Remove from the oven and cool.
- 6 Meanwhile, to make the chocolate fudge frosting: Combine evaporated milk, sugar, and cocoa powder. Cook over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat. Add butter, and stir until melted and smooth. Let cool before pouring onto the cooled cake. Spread frosting over the cake. Serve with forks.