Hello! Let’s put a chopped-up trio of celery, carrots, and onions, potatoes, chicken, spices, and pre-made – yes, I said it – pre-made biscuits in the Instant Pot and call it dinner.
The bakery in my hometown was famous for their chicken and dumpling soup, so I’ve eaten a lot of chicken and dumplings in my life. Growing up, it was essential to know when chicken and dumpling day was, and it was a need-to-get-there-early type situation, so that you didn’t miss out.
Chicken and dumplings, in this very weeknight SOS-friendly version, is something between a stew and a soup – it’s just a bowl of humble, comforting, creamy goodness. In this case, loaded with potatoes, peas, chicken, biscuit-like dumplings, and made without cream! The potatoes and biscuits share some of their starchiness to make the whole thing super creamy and rich without needing any additional dairy.
What You’ll Need To Make Chicken and Dumplings
Here’s our short ingredient list:
- mirepoix (a mix of chopped carrots, celery, and onion that you can buy frozen or in the produce section to save time)
- chicken thighs
- pre-made biscuits
- chicken broth
- poultry seasoning
I wonder if, when we pull the little biscuit-dumpling-bits apart, and shred the chicken and stir in some bright green peas, and stand over the steamy pot just bathing in all the savory goodness, life will just feel a little bit better. (It will.)
I wonder if our family members, including toddlers, will be obsessed with it. (Mine did.)
I wonder if this would taste even better in sweats and a hoodie. (It does.)
Are you down for this?
I hope someday real soon you find yourself stirring up a pot of this rich, satisfying, comforting, super delicious chicken and dumpling goodness, whether it’s a rainy, snowy, dreary, or just very tired night. ♡ Let’s let this one take care of you.
Source notes: I got on the chicken and dumplings train after we made this Instant Pot recipe from Simply Happy Foodie during the testing for our best-of-the-internet Instant Pot recipe reviews post. Sandy’s recipe is awesome. I made this version of the recipe, as written here, almost weekly during my maternity leave while trying to be dairy-free and manage two kids two-and-under and just generally keep my life afloat. It was a lifesaver.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings: Frequently Asked Questions
It can kind of be what you want it to be! Using 3 cups of broth will make for a thicker stew-like consistency, while 4 will give you a slightly soupier consistency. Totally your preference! Either way, it’s going to be a bowl-and-spoon type recipe.
Yes! Some thickening is normal (as with any soup / stew) and you may have to thin it back out with a little more water.
Whoa! You. are. AMAZING! If you want to have a go at making your own biscuits, these ones are perfect.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings is the most comforting, delicious bowl of goodness. Chicken, veggies, pre-made biscuits, seasoning, and all of it made creamy by the humble potato. YUM!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cups mirepoix (diced trio of celery, carrot, and onion – you can often buy this pre-chopped in the produce or freezer section to save time)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 lb. chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3–4 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounces of refrigerated biscuits (about 6 biscuits), cut into small bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- optional: fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs for cooking, and fresh parsley for serving
- Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot except the peas. Throw some fresh herbs in there if you have them – sage, thyme, etc. If not, don’t sweat! This is shortcut cooking. Just turn on the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 7-10 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes of resting, use the “quick release” to let out the steam. Gently break apart any pieces of biscuits that got stuck together with two forks.
- Pull out the chicken and shred it or chop it up. Add it back in with the peas. Taste, season, and serve!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot chicken and dumplings, chicken and dumplings, chicken recipe
More Instant Pot Favorites
- Instant Pot Creole Chicken and Sausage (one of our faves to meal prep)
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese (the very best!)
- Instant Pot Chicken Cacciatore (bright, rich, and savory – yum!)
- Instant Pot Red Curry Lentils (creamy, spicy, and super healthy)