Pumpkin butter is an autumn fruit spread (yes, pumpkin is a fruit!) made from canned pumpkin and other sweet and spicy ingredients – like apple cider, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves — simmered over low heat until the flavor is concentrated. It takes just 25 minutes to make and tastes like a spoonful of the richest, most delicious pumpkin pie filling you can imagine.
Similar to apple butter, there is no actual dairy butter in pumpkin butter; the term butter refers only to its butter-like, soft consistency and its use as a spread. The recipe makes about 2 cups, or one 16-oz jar full, but it can easily be doubled or tripled if you’d like to make extra to give away as presents over the holidays.
What To Do With Pumpkin Butter
Wondering how to use your pumpkin butter? Here are some of my favorite ways:
- Spread it on salty crackers
- Dollop it on waffles or pancakes with maple syrup
- Spread it on toast, biscuits, English muffins, or scones with cream cheese
- Mix it into Greek yogurt and top with granola
- Use it as a filling for crepes
- Whisk a few spoonfuls into egg/milk custard for French toast
- Spoon some into oatmeal
- Add it to vanilla milkshakes or smoothies
- Stir a spoonful into a latte
- Whip a few spoonfuls with softened butter to make whipped compound pumpkin butter (this is delicious on rolls, biscuits, or cornbread)
What You’ll Need To Make Pumpkin Butter
Add the pumpkin, apple cider (or juice), brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt to a medium, heavy saucepan.
Stir to combine.
Bring to a boil over med-high heat (because the mixture is so thick, it will be more like an active sputter.) Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered with the lid just slightly ajar, stirring occasionally so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Let cool completely.
Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
You may also like
- Pumpkin Bread
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins
- Pumpkin Muffins with Pecan Streusel
- Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Pumpkin Glaze
- Pumpkin Pancakes