This soup is rich, and savory and oh-so satisfying with herby Italian sausage, kale for days, and soft buttery little cannellini. Everything gets thickened up a little, giving it kind of a stewier feel. We added a little smoky paprika, and a squeeze of lemon juice at the end, and we have not one single regret about any of it!
Except that maybe it is hard to eat soup and type at the same time right now but listen, we are not engineers. Someone else solve that problem, please.
This velvety, cozy little gal is definitely a richer, creamier jaunt from a more traditional zuppa toscana (think more the beloved Olive Garden, maybe less actual Tuscan countryside), but who are we to not take the richer, creamier path?!
How To Make This White Bean Soup
Thanks to easy ingredients and minimal prep, it’s not going to be long before you can start gobbling a bowl of this cozy, creamy, herby goodness.
- Sauté onion and garlic until fragrant, brown the sausage.
- Add the smoked paprika and flour.
- Slowly add broth and stir to thicken.
- Add potatoes and cook until tender.
- Beans, kale, simmer.
- Stir in half and half, some salt and pepp to taste, and a squeeze of lemon juice for brightness.
Looking like something is calling to be dipped through that? You’re right. Assemble the carbs!
What Makes It The Perfect Soup
There is no bacon in this recipe and you will not miss it, because everything still has a smoky bacon-y kind of taste thanks to the smoked paprika which we fully appreciate! It’s really creamy and a little stewier with the bigger chunks of tender potato and veg, brothy beans, and crumbly sausage, but not too dense. That little extra thickness in there actually makes it AN IDEAL CANDIDATE for soup dippers, which we can never get enough of. Dippers + Us forever.
Like maybe a swoop of parmesan garlic bread if you don’t mind dairy on dairy, we never do. Crispy peppery croutons sound like an actual dream? They are! Recipe coming soon, friends, stay tuned.
Several Ways To Cook This Soup
Another check in the champion box for this recipe is that there are so many ways for it to make its way to your dinner table depending on your mood. If you want to fill up your evening with warm cozy smells, let’s put it on the stovetop. If you know the day ahead of you is long and you want to come home to something wonderful, it works in the slow cooker, too.
Is it suddenly 6:30 pm and your staring-at-the-kitchen-wall break was interrupted when you turned around to find your family staring at you with those “Haalp! Dinner?” eyes? Instant Pot it is!
We know the colder weather is ahead of us. We know the days are getting shorter and the sunshine is sneaking away and the possibility of another complicated season is in the back of our heads. But there are oh-so many good feelings too, as we pull out our favorite sweatshirts and best soft blankets and heaviest pots and deepest ladles. May soup save us all.
Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup: FAQs
You can! You may need to add a bit more liquid to it if it becomes too thick, but it freezes wonderfully.
You could add in some mild or spicy veggie “meat” crumbles and use veg broth to make it totally vegetarian.
Yes! Sauté your onions, garlic, and sausage in a bit of oil until soft and fragrant. Add in the spices, broth, and potatoes. Seal the lid and set the cook time to 3 minutes with 10 minutes of natural pressure release. Stir in the kale and heavy cream.
Prefer To Watch Instead Of Read?
Bringing you this creamy, rich Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup! Herby Italian sausage, kale, smoky paprika, creamy beans and potatoes, and a splash of cream. This is a must-make for soup season!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3–4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1–2 tablespoons flour (optional, makes it a bit thicker)
- 5 cups chicken broth
- one 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
- 4 medium potatoes, diced (any kind of potato will work)
- 2 stalks kale, ribs removed, chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (can sub half and half)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper and lemon juice
- Onions, Garlic, and Sausage: Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic; sauté for 10 minutes or until very soft and fragrant. Add the sausage and cook until browned. Drain out excess grease.
- Spices: Add the smoked paprika and flour; sauté for one minute.
- Veggies: Add broth, a little at a time. Add potatoes; bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add kale and white beans and simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Finish: Add half and half, salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste. VOILA!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage soup, sausage and kale soup, sausage and bean soup
More Creamy Soups To Carry You Through Soup Season
- Ang’s Creamy Tortellini Soup (creamy and cozy)
- Creamy Mushroom Soup (earthy mushrooms in a velvetty broth? yes!!)
- Basic + Awesome Creamy Potato Soup (a yummy classic)
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup (so good with or without chicken added in)