ILOCOS SUR, Apr. 9 (PIA) – Governor Ryan Luis Singson issued Executive Order No. 28 on Tuesday placing the cities of Candon and Vigan and 11 municipalities in Ilocos Sur under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from April 7 to 21, 2021.
The towns under MECQ are Cabugao, Bantay, Sinait, Cervantes, Narvacan, Santa, Sta Maria, San Esteban, Sta. Lucia, Suyo, and Tagudin.
These areas were previously on less restrictive modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
Governor Singson said that most of the recorded cases in the province came from these areas.
Singson also said that the virus threat remained very high and alarming despite the intensified measures against COVID-19.
“With the abrupt increase of new cases, recorded local community transmissions, full occupancy of all isolation facilities, absence of a Level 3 hospital, and depletion of health worker in the province, the COVID-19 Task Force of Ilocos Sur recommended the reclassification of the status of the said local government units (LGUs) from MGCQ to MECQ in order to contain the virus,” he said.
MECQ refers to the transition phase between enhanced community quarantine and general community quarantine, when the following temporary measures are relaxed and become less necessary: stringent limits on movement and transportation of people, strict regulation of operating industries, provision of food and essential services, and heightened presence of uniformed personnel to enforce community quarantine protocols.
The governor likewise ordered 24-hour checkpoints to be set up along the province’s boundaries and stressed that all LGUs under MECQ will also put up their own checkpoints but not along national and provincial highways.
Part of the regulations states that all persons in the MECQ areas shall not be allowed to go outside of their respective LGUs except for essential and emergency travels.
Ilocos Surians working outside the province may be permitted to travel provided that they shall strictly follow the regulations imposed by LGU of residence upon return.
All persons coming from Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal, including the National Capital Region, high risk areas and all other provinces shall be temporarily not permitted to travel to LGUs under MECQ except for essential travels.
Singson added that only hotels or accommodation establishments with valid Department of Tourism (DoT) accreditation will be allowed to accommodate guests and clients for legitimate purposes under the state of public health emergency.
“The operations of such hotels and accommodation establishments as well as ancillary establishments within their premises such as restaurants, cafes, gyms, spas, function halls and the like shall be subject to guidelines issued by DoT and the IATF,” Singson said.
Curfew hour is from 10p.m. to 5a.m.
However, LGUs are given the authority to extend the same within their territorial jurisdiction for reasons and under circumstances they may deem proper to justify the same.
As of 10p.m. update on April 8, the province of Ilocos Sur recorded a total of 829 confirmed cases, 370 are active, 454 have recovered and eight deaths. (JCR/AMB/PIA Ilocos Sur)