DUMAGUETE CITY, Sept. 14 (PIA) — A health worker in Canlaon City tested positive for COVID-19 infection.
Assistant Provincial Health Officer Dr. Liland Estacion reported this in a press briefing held this morning at the IATF Media Briefing Area, this city.
This is the fifth case of a health worker contracting COVID-19 in Negros Oriental.
The said health worker is a 56-year old female with no history of travel outside the province.
Based on the advisory posted by the Canlaon City Public Information Office on their “Ciudad sa Canlaon” Facebook account, on Sept. 9 the patient was admitted at the Local Government Unit (LGU) designated facility for persons experiencing Influenza-Like Illness (ILI) due to mild cough.
Swab samples were taken from her on the same day, results of which came out on Sept. 12 confirming she is positive for the virus.
The patient is currently taking medication and if her the symptoms will worsen, she will be transferred to the provincial health care facility.
Another set of swab samples will be taken from her next week.
Contact tracing has begun and all identified contacts will undergo swab test today.
Estacion disclosed that so far, 40 health workers who had direct contact with the said COVId-19 patient were traced and already isolated.
Despite this, Estacion assured that Canlaon City still has enough health workers to handle the needs of the residents there.
“Our health workers in Canlaon are also using their Barangay Health Emergency Response Team (BHERTS), the barangay health workers. Naa ra sila motrabaho in lieu sa ilaha. By shift man gyud ni, maybe katong mga shift ang nahalubilo nila so kato ang gi-quarantine but for katong other shift nag-duty ra pod sila (There are still some people who can perform their task. Our health personnel work on a per-shift basis. Perhaps those who had a direct contact with her are the ones who belong to the same shift. Those who go on duty on a different shift can still work),” Estacion explained.
Health authorities are now investigating where did the patient contracted the virus.
They are also looking into the possibility that she may be exposed to a Locally Stranded Individual (LSI) infected by COVID-19 since she is a health worker.
Aside from this, they are also looking into the possibility of local transmission but Estacion clarified this will be confirmed in the next press briefing.
On the other hand, the municipality of Zamboanguita also logged one new case of COVID-19 infection today.
The latest COVID-19 patient in Zamboanguita is a 38-year old female who is an LSI from Lahug, Cebu City.
She claimed she did not leave her house during the quarantine period in Cebu City.
She arrived in the province on Sept. 1, 2020 via Cokaliong Shipping.
She is asymptomatic and now placed in the isolation facility of the LGU.
Her swab samples were taken on Sept. 8 and results came out on Sept. 11.
With this, the number of COVID-19 cases in Negros Oriental is now at 149 with 10 active cases, four deaths, and 135 recoveries.
Estacion also announced six recoveries today, namely: NegOr-Cov-132 from Guihulngan City; NegOr-Cov-133, a health worker of Inapoy Primary Community Hospital in Mabinay town; NegOr-Cov-134 from La Libertad; NegOr-Cov-142 and NegOr-Cov-143 in Sibulan; and NegOr-Cov-44 from Guihulngan City. (ral/PIA7-Negros Oriental)