DAVAO CITY, July 13 (PIA) – Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio bared that Davao City might return to the general community quarantine (GCQ) classification due to the continued rising of COVID-19 cases here.
She revealed based on the National Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging and Reemerging Infectious Diseases’ recommendation, the city has to return to the GCQ status to address the rising incidents of the pandemic in the city.
Duterte-Carpio hinted that she already made an appeal to the IATF to reconsider its recommendation to the president, but urged the people to review the GCQ policies.
“It has big implications to our situation in the city because there are business establishments which need to stop operation again after the 15 days of reopening,” she said.
Duterte-Carpio stressed the city has to address the spike in the cases attributing it to the returning locally stranded individuals and the Overseas Filipino Workers.
She said of the 166 LSIs who arrived in the city during the Hatid-Tulong Initiative of the national government last week, 15 of them turned out COVID-19 positive during their respective quarantine.
“They turned out positive, after undergoing RT-PCR test of which the results came out in two days. I hope that our hospital system will not be overwhelmed by the rising cases,” Duterte-Carpio said.
She said the government aims to reduce the COVID-19 cases due to local transmission and the arrival of LSIs and OFWs.
Duterte-Carpio hinted that she will be sending 5,000 washable masks to the barangays to ensure example and compliance stressing that the use of face masks is mandatory.
“The government wants us to follow four basic health protocols: staying home, wearing of face mask, social distancing and frequent washing of hands, using soap and water,” she said.
Duterte-Carpio said non-wearing of masks must be penalized, while those who are not supposed to stay out must stay home.
She reported the figures like currently, there are 224 individuals admitted by the Southern Philippines Medical Center because of COVID-19.
Duterte-Carpio said there are 105 patients confined while nine of them are housed at Center A, 22 at Center B, 25 at Center C, 59 at Center D and four persons at Center E. She said that currently there are 162 confirmed COVID-19 positive cases, 382 fully recovered, 35 deaths. 579 total confirmed cases since the pandemic started in March 15.
Meanwhile. Police Brigadier General Filmore Escobal, director of the Police Regional Office XI attributed the surge in the cases in Davao Region to the arrival of the locally stranded individuals, overseas Filipino workers and the shift of the Davao Region from general community quarantine to modified general community quarantine.
Speaking in the Laging Handa, Public Briefing, he bared the police in Davao Region continues to implement the curfew hour, requiring medical certificates in the quarantine checkpoints, localized lockdown in barangays with high incidents of infection.
“We still have rising cases of COVID-19 in the city since COVID-19 cases are treated in a hospital, situated here in Davao City,” Escobal said.
He said there are also three barangays in Davao City that are under lockdown due to high incidents of COVID-19 infection.
Escobal said the Hatid Tulong Initiative of the national government brought in 658 LSIs in Davao Region on board 29 buses from the border of the regions of Davao and Caraga in Barangay Pasian, Monkayo, Davao de Oro.
“They were brought to their respective local government units which provided quarantine facilities for the LSIs while the Department of Health looks up for their welfare,” Escobal said.
He also assured the support of the Philippine National Police to all programs of government especially on looking closely the welfare of the LSIs.
Escobal urged the people to follow the minimum health safety standards set by the DOH to control the pandemic and to assist in helping reduce the cases. (PIA XI-Joey Sem G. Dalumpines)