Chicken Caldereta is a type of Filipino chicken stew. This version involves cooking the chicken in a tomato-based sauce, with a good amount of liver spread to make the sauce more flavorful. This ingredient makes this dish unique in a good way.
How to Cook Chicken Caldereta
Making your own kalderetang manok at home is simple and easy. Beginners with little cooking experience should be able to cook this dish as long as you follow the steps below. The cooking video should guide you on how to properly execute the steps.
Start by pan-frying the potato and carrot. Heat oil in a pan. Add the potato first. Fry each side for 1 minute. Remove the fried potatoes from the pan and place on a plate or bowl lined with paper towels. Do the same thing for the carrot.
The next step is frying the chicken. We don’t really need to cook it completely. Simply fry each side for 1 1/2 minutes. This process helps maintain the appearance of the chicken preventing the skin and cartilage from rapidly shrinking when stewed later on. Set aside the pan-fried chicken for now by placing it on a clean plate.
It is time to formally cook the caldereta. Saute onion and garlic using the remaining oil. Add tomato. Continue to cook while stirring until the onion and tomato softens. Put the chicken back into the pan. Since this is a tomato-based stew, I am also adding tomato sauce at this point. Canned diced tomato or tomato puree can also be used. Add water and let boil.
I am using a piece of Knorr Chicken Cube to ensure that my stew has that solid chicken flavor. Add the cube and stir the mixture. I also add some Thai chili peppers for that extra kick. Cover the pan and continue to cook for 15 minutes. Use low to medium heat at this point.
We want the chicken cooked equally. For this reason, I turn the chicken pieces over so that the top part gets cooked with the sauce. It helps extract the flavors from the chicken. Don’t forget to add the liver spread. This ingredients makes the dish taste better. It is also provides the dish its identity that makes it distinct from other tomato based stew, such as chicken afritada. Let it cook for 20 minutes after covering the pan.
Add the bell peppers, cheese, carrot, and potato afterwards. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes before seasoning with salt and pepper. Enjoy your dish with warm white rice.
Try this Chicken Caldereta recipe. Have fun cooking!
Chicken Caldereta Recipe
Spicy Filipino Chicken stew with tomato, carrots, and potato.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||55 minutes|
- 2 lbs chicken cut into pieces
- 1 piece Knorr Chicken Cube
- 2 pieces carrots wedged
- 2 pieces potato cubed
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 pieces bell pepper sliced
- 4 tablespoons liver spread
- 1 piece tomato cubed
- 3 pieces chili pepper chopped
- 1 piece onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese grated
- 1 ½ cups water
- 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- Start by pan-frying the potato and carrots. Heat oil in a pan. Add potato. Fry each side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and put in a bowl lined with paper towel. Set aside. Do the same thing with the carrots.
- Using the remaining oil, fry the chicken for 1 ½ minutes per side. Remove from the pan. Set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic. Add tomato. Continue to saute while stirring until tomato and onion softens.
- Add chicken and pour-in tomato sauce and water. Let boil.
- Stir and then add Knorr Chicken Cube and chili pepper. Cover the pan. Cook between low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken pieces over to equally cook the opposite side. Add liver spread. Stir. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and cheese. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Put the carrots and potatoes into the pan. Continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper. Serve. Share and enjoy.
Calories: 714kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 50g | Fat: 53g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 223mg | Sodium: 783mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3530IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 130mg | Iron: 4mg
Watch how to cook Chicken Caldereta